Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lower Calorie Sparkling Wine Trick

Say what?! Today, I am going to share my little trick with you- how I stretch one glass of wine into 3 or 4!!!

But FIRST- I have to show you what my dearest husband spoiled me with this week- a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor! I have been wanting one for the longest time, and he just ordered me one out of the blue. I am one lucky lady right?! Love my man!

Here she is in all her glory-

I am a teacher too, so my principal at school came up with the idea of my students trying to see which class could keep my average heart rate the lowest. It was a hoot, the students actually got into it. Opposed to normal biological rhythms, my heart rate actually got lower and lower throughout the day and my last period won with an avg heart rate of 62!

After school, I was off the gym to get in some cardio time! I had to put my Polar FT4 through the paces! I loved how it automatically synced to the gym machines too. I did 20 minutes on the stairmill, 20 min doing 90 sec HIIT on the treadmill (alternating 90 sec 6.5 mph jogging with 4.5 mph fast walking), then I finished up with 20 min on the elliptical. Here is the final workout summary-

So if you are a number and data lover like me, you need a heart rate monitor as your next gadget! I cannot wait to collect more data and graph it up!

Onto the real post now- I love to drink wine but the calories add up quickly. I have a couple of booze tips that I use when I want to indulge. I will share the others later, but this one is my go-to. It cuts the calories in your glass of wine by 75%!!!! And makes you drink lots of water while you are drinking alcohol!
So what is the secret???
This my friends- *ta-da music*

Clearly American Sparkling Water

Lower Calorie Sparkling Wine


You need:
  • Wine of choice (I prefer Moscato, Blush, or Riesling... but any red, blush, or white works! I have tried many!)
  • Clearly American Sparkling Water (I buy these at Walmart. I prefer Black Cherry, Peach, Cherry, Strawberry, and White Grape... but have not met one yet that I dislike!)
  • Optional but good too- fresh or frozen fruit (berries, pineapple, grapes, citrus, apples)

What you do:
Pour 1 ounce of wine in the bottom of your glass, top with sparkling water to the top. Garnish with fruit for a low-cal sangria!

This is now one of my all time favorite drinks! It has a couple of perks that I did not plan on but have come in handy-
1) Gross dry wine that I cannot hardly stomach tastes really good this way and I will actually drink it!
2) I keep hydrated since I am drinking so much water along with my wine! This equals less hangover in the morning if you are going hard!
3) The "drunk" does not sneak up on you! (You know what I am talking about, right?! Which is excellent if you are a light weight like me!)
4) Now the calories of ONE glass of wine are split into FOUR glasses which actually might last longer than 10 minutes while you socialize. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment