Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Roasted Winter Root Vegetables

I have had a life long love affair with sweet potatoes, to say the least. As a southern girl, I grew up with sweet potato casseroles topped with mounds of marshmellows which conjured up fond memories around the Thanksgiving table.

As my eating habits have changed, I still enjoy sweet potatoes but I love them roasted with cinnamon and smashed now. But do not get me wrong, I still want my sweet potato casserole and all those marshmellows when the time is appropriate LOL

A few years ago, I was watching Barefoot Contessa on Food Network and she was making a recipe that called for sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, and parsnips- called Roasted Winter Vegetables. Interesting, it looked good but I had never tried those last two items. A few days later, I went and bought the stuff to make it. Boy, I had been missing out on parsnips and butternut squash all these years!

How did I miss out on parsnips and butternut squash for so long?
 I have also tried this recipe with red potatoes in the mix just for my husband, it was excellent too. But I prefer the sweetness of the squash and sweet potatoes to shine through. This recipe turned me into a roasted vegetable addict, I will freely admit. Most veggies are just better roasted.

The weather in the Texas panhandle is unpredictable to say the least. Yesterday, it was almost 90*F, today it blowing frozen mix and 30*F. So I thought some roasted winter vegetables fit the bill to eat at lunch today. The good thing about the Texas panhandle is that if you do not like the weather, just stick around, it will change. Tomorrow is a high of 60*F...

Roasted Winter Vegetables

Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa's recipe
Serves 6

2 sweet potatoes, chopped (I leave the skin on, you can peel yours if you would like)
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 pound bag of parsnips (about 5), peeled and chopped
1 pound bag of carrots (about 5 large or I buy the baby carrots), peeled and chopped
Cooking spray (I prefer canola oil spray)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp parsley

Do this:

Preheat your oven to 425 and line two cookie sheets with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray. Divide all the chopped veggies into the two cookie sheets and spray with cooking oil lighly. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and parlsey over. Toss to coat evenly. Roast for 35 minutes, turning vegetables over halfway through cooking time. I like to turn on the broiler for the last 5 minutes or so to get the brown carmelized edges!

Nutritional info:

(Per 1 cup serving)
  • calories- 107
  • carbs- 24
  • fat- 0
  • protein- 2

No comments:

Post a Comment