Monday, April 15, 2013

Crock Pot Tex Mex Chicken

My Tex Mex chicken recipe that I shared with a friend on the Venus Index forum ended up being published in one of her articles! It just made my day that she enjoyed it enough to share. Sometimes it blows my mind how we can connect with friends across the world while doing the stuff we love- for me this is fitness and cooking. Kimberly (AKA Kimmits to me) lives in Hong Kong, and is a true everyday Venus.
 


Kimberly- The Every Day Venus: Holiday photos from May 2011 to July 2012
 
  So what is so special about this recipe? #1 it is super easy to make #2 it has a robust flavor without many extra calories above just plain old chicken breast #3 it is very versitile
 
I cook my Tex Mex chicken almost weekly because my whole family enjoys it, although we each fix it up in our own way. My husband likes to eat his in a shredded chicken taco with a corn tortilla preferrably with few condiments other than sour cream and some shredded cheese. My son likes his wrapped up in a flour tortilla burrito with refried beans, pickles (strange I know!), green salsa, and cheese. My daughter likes her chicken over a plate of nachos with refried beans, cheese, and sour cream. Me? I like my chicken over a huge pile of lettuce with green or red salsa and a dollop of sour cream. I have also had it over a bed of lightly sauteed zucchini and topped with fresh pineapple- which was also great tasting! Kimmits gives her ideas in the article, which sound pretty tasty too!
 
Continue reading here
 
 

Slow Cooked Tex Mex Chicken

Serves 6 and makes great reheated left overs for the rest of the week.
 
2.2lb / 1kg of chicken breast fillet
1 large jar of your favorite spicy salsa
1 diced onion (optional)
2 diced green bell peppers (optional)
Optional: 1 tsp of cumin and smoked paprika / chipotle
Step 1: Place all ingredients in a crock pot on low
Step 2: Cook for up to 12 hours until chicken is ready to be pulled apart, pour off extra liquids and shred with fork.
 

Variations:

I have just discovered some easy variations. You will add these in at the step where you pour off the extra liquid (it can get too soupy for my preference sometimes!)....
  •  a can of red or green enchilada sauce 
  •  a jar of salsa verde.

These are two that I have tried and liked:
 
http://www.chilebibles.com/hatch_brand_can_products.htm
http://www.meijer.com/s/herdez-mild-salsa-verde-12-jars-16-oz-ea/_/R-182725

Nutrition Stats:

Per approx 4 oz serving

  • Calories: 147
  • Carbs: 2g
  • Fat: 3g
  • Protein: 26g
 
Oh and my photoshoot on Thursday went pretty well. Here is a sneak peek of the only pictures that I have gotten to see so far!
 
XO- Liss

No comments:

Post a Comment