Monday, February 2, 2015

Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs



This is another one of my favorite family meals that we use when we shop for the month for groceries! (HERE is more info on shopping for the month)

I like that it can be tweaked so that everyone likes it and that I can tweak it to fit within my calorie budget for the day.

The marinara and meatballs in the crockpot saves me a lot of time when I get home. But more importantly, the long cooking time gives the red sauce lots of flavor.

My husband and kids like theirs over regular spaghetti pasta. I prefer spaghetti squash or zucchini ribbons. (HERE is how to do zucchini noodles)

In the pictures here, I halved a spaghetti squash and put in the microwave for 10 min (sometimes it needs up to 15 minutes) and then shredded half of the half onto my plate with a fork. This makes a HUGE plate! I love my volume!

Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs


(serves 4)

The stuff:
  • 1 lbs lean ground beef (I use 90% lean, you could also use lean ground turkey)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1 can diced or stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder (or 3 cloves, pressed)
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 cubes chicken or beef bullion (optional)
  • 1 Spaghetti squash (serves 4) or zucchini ribbons or spaghetti pasta

What you do:
In a crockpot, dump the cans of tomatoes, then stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and bullion if you are using it.  

In a separate bowl, mash together the raw beef, eggs, parmesan, and oats with your hands. Form quarter to golf ball sized meatballs and gently drop them into the red sauce in the crockpot.

Turn the crockpot on high heat for 4-6 hours. 

I often come home at lunch and turn my crockpot to low until dinner.






Nutritional Facts 

(for 1/4 of meatballs and marinara, served with a quarter of a medium spaghetti squash)
  • 368 cals
  • 12 g fat
  • 26 g carbs
  • 35 g protein
  • 1079 mg sodium
  • 4 g fiber



X- Liss


No comments:

Post a Comment