Sunday, June 29, 2014

Texas Oven Brisket

 


Growing up in the Texas Panhandle, my family lived on a ranch and we loved our meat. My grandpa has always smoked brisket for get togethers (we have a huge family) and his was the best around. My uncle makes the best BBQ sauce to go with it, just so you know ;) but his recipe is top secret.

I know what great smoked brisket IS and what it SHOULD taste like. But I do not have a smoker, and now my grandparents live 6 hours away. So I have been fiddling with perfecting an oven roasted brisket that was almost as good as my Gramps makes.... it will never be his. Food made by someone else, with their love, ALWAYS tastes better!!!

Brisket with the fat trimmed off is low in calories and high in protein. And tasty too!

I usually pick up my brisket flat at Sam's Club, the whole packet cut is too much for our family to eat! And I use a store bought marinade, just easier ;)

 


Texas Oven Brisket


The Stuff

Marinade option 1 (Store bought. This stuff is fantastic- so is their fajita marinade!)
 


  • 1/2 Bottle of Claude's Barbeque Brisket Marinade (I get mine HERE)

Marinade Option 2, mix the following together  (make your own, adapted from The Maine House)
  • 2 t. meat tenderizer
  • 1 (4- ounce bottle) of Liquid Smoke
  • 1 t. celery salt
  • 1 t. paprika
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. onion salt
  • 1 T. Brown Sugar

Meat
  • 4-5 lbs brisket flat

What you do
Place your brisket in a roasting pan and cover with marinade of choice, seal it with foil or a lid. Allow it to marinate over night.

Place the brisket in a preheated 300 F oven for 2 hours with the undrained pan tightly covered in foil.
Loosen the foil a bit, and put it back in a 200F degree oven for 5 more hours.

Allow the meat to rest for 30 minutes at room temp. Drain the juices and place meat on a cutting board. Cut against the grain in thin slices. Enjoy!

 

 



 

 



Nutritional Stats

Per 4 oz serving

  • Cals - 175
  • Carbs- 0 g
  • Fat- 8 g
  • Protein- 23g

No comments:

Post a Comment