Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fit Refried Beans


I got a great, simple recipe today that the whole fam will love. And you will too. It is easy on the pocket book as well! 


I have been making a few short videos lately for Venus, and wanted to share!
That one is some alternatives for stability ball work if you do not have a ball. Try them, they are super challenging :)

I also had another cake to make this week. It was for my daughter's luau birthday party!
 


She wanted "tropical cake" so I made this bottom layer pina colada cake, the top layer was chocolate-chocolate chip with nutella filling. All of it is topped off with coconut scented buttercream. It was delish!


But back to the beans...

See, I have a "thing" for refried beans. Must be the Texan in me. I LOVE them on my taco salads, but the cals can add up QUICK. One day my mother-in-law Ana (who is also now addicted to Venus Index now, ya'll! WOOT!) showed me her recipe to make them which is this one! So I started making them on my own, and have never looked back to canned, calorie-laden versions.
 


My family loves these. They are so versitile. Nachos, burritoes, tacos, and of course taco salads. I serve them with my slow cooked tex mex shredded chicken usually, sometimes some taco seasoned lean ground beef.


Fit Refried Beans


Approx 10 servings
 


Ingredients
  • 1 lbs pinto beans, dried

  • 2 cubes of beef bullion, optional

  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I tend to use olive oil or canola)

  • 1 tbsp taco seasoning (I make my own, see recipe at the bottom)

  • 1 tbsp flour (I use whole wheat)

What you do

Soak beans overnight, you want about double the amount of water of the beans. Pour off water, and rinse beans once more. In a crockpot, put beans, about double the amount of fresh water than beans, and beef bullion. Cook for 8 hours on low. Drain the beans. (You can also start at this point with 2 cans of cheapo pinto beans from the store- that is how Mrs. Ana does it!)

In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add oil, taco seasoning, and flour. Cook until flour makes a roux that is about peanut butter colored. Add the beans, and start mashing. Enjoy :) I find that these keep well for up to a week and also freeze well!

 
 



I have my Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chicken going in the crockpot next to my beans!
 

 
 
 


 

 



 
 

Nutritional Stats

Per 1/3 cup

Cals- 77 cals
Fat- 0.3 g
Carbs- 14.5 g
Protein- 4.6 g
Sodium- 134 mg



***Taco seasoning recipe***
Mix together 2 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp cilantro, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp chili power (increase or decrease depending on your preferred level of spice, this is medium) Store in a ziploc or clean spice container.





No comments:

Post a Comment