Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Bulgarian Split Squats with a Band



Bulgarian split squats require a great deal of strength, but this unilateral exercise is great for the quads, hams, and glutes! This exercise will definitely let you know if you are lacking strength anywhere. If you need a regression, substitute weighted squats. To make it more challenging, add weights but I would place your foot on a stable surface like a bench instead of using the band.

I like using the band for body weight BSS.  It is comfortable for my ankle and hip. My bench is too high for me.






One other thing that I have noticed this movement will definitely make any hip, knee, or ankle mobility issues apparent! I have some ankle and hip mobility issues that I am working on. Dr. Kelly Starrett has some great, free online video mobility tutorials available on his YouTube channel; these have really helped me out!

Form tips:
* keep your torso upright
* it helps to start with your back knee on the ground so you can get your front leg in the right position
* your toe should not go past your knee on the front leg
* do not lift the heel on the front foot
* a full rep should include the back knee touching the ground (I struggle here, working on it! But at least get thigh parallel to ground on your front foot)

Try these and see what you think!
X - Liss

No comments:

Post a Comment